Richard J. Burke
Senior Executive Consultant
Research, Assessments, Finance, Planning, Governance
Richard J. Burke was founder and President of Catholic School Management, the preeminent Catholic school consulting firm which has provided consultative guidance, publications, and training programs for parish, private, and diocesan Catholic elementary and secondary schools and parishes since 1973. In October 2014 Catholic School Management became part of Christian Brothers Services and Richard continues to serve CSM as Senior Executive Consultant. Richard has forty-one years of experience as a consultant, Board member, and business manager providing workshops, seminars, and direct consulting services to schools, parishes, religious communities, dioceses, and school Boards. The National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA) formally endorsed Richard as the NCEA Financial consultant for Catholic schools and parishes in 1978. He held that position until 1987. Mr. Burke has served on the Adjunct Faculty of the Graduate School of Education at Boston College, teaching, “Budget and Financial Planning in Private Schools” in the Catholic School Leadership Program. He has also taught at Thomas More College in Covington, Kentucky, and has served as both a lecturer and instructor for the Institute for Catholic Educational Leadership (ICEL) at the University of San Francisco.
Since 1979, Mr. Burke has written and published the bimonthly CATHOLIC SCHOOL MANAGEMENT LETTER and CATHOLIC SCHOOL MANAGEMENT - ON BOARDS. The firm has also published books on:
- COUNSELING ISSUES IN CATHOLIC SCHOOLS: MORAL, ETHICAL AND LEGAL DIMENSIONS;
- ATHLETICS AND PHYSICAL EDUCATION PROGRAMS IN CATHOLIC SCHOOLS: LEGAL ISSUES;
- DIVORCE AND CHILD CUSTODY: LEGAL AND POLICY IMPLICATIONS FOR THE CATHOLIC SCHOOL.
From 1973 through 1986, Mr. Burke also served as Business Planning Coordinator for Catholic Schools in the Archdiocese of Hartford, designing the schools’ development programs and upgrading business procedures. During 1973-74, he also served as a consultant to the Archbishop’s Study Committee on Parish Councils, assisting in drafting revised guidelines for parish councils in the Archdiocese of Hartford in 1974. Mr. Burke's board experience includes:
- Notre Dame High School, West Haven, Connecticut;
- Our Lady of Mercy Country Day School, Madison, Connecticut;
- The Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur, Fairfield Province;
- St. George Parish Council, Guilford, Connecticut;
- Mercy Center, Madison, Connecticut;
- Villanova University – Center for the Study of Church Management – National Advisory Board;
- Foundation for the Advancement of Catholic Schools (FACS), Archdiocese of Hartford;
- Holy Cross College, Notre Dame, Indiana – Board of Trustees.
A native of New Haven, Connecticut, Richard attended New Haven public elementary schools and Notre Dame High School. He holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Economics and Finance from the University of Bridgeport where he has also done graduate work. Mr. Burke holds memberships in the National Catholic Educational Association, as well as the National Association of Business Economists and the Hartford Association of Business Economists.